Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Something to Think About when Taking the BIG PLUNGE!

I just read this from my ever trusting planner Belle de Jour regarding on when is the right time to settle down. I must say it was something to think about since this is the time where you are surrounded by people who are planning for their wedding, going to marry and baptize their kids. It also made me realize that I need to enjoy my single-blessedness and spend some alone time. It also grants me to become independent. I used to say that before I get marry I want to make sure that I have achieved most of my goals and I have done something for myself. So just in case I'm going to commit myself into starting a new family, I have established my own self.

Here are the checklist before we girls take the BIG PLUNGE! (taken from BDJ planner)

1. Travel on your own.
Once you get married and have kids, it'll be hard to create down time for yourself. While you're still single, take pride in fact that you've managed superbly on your own and reward yourself by travelling. It may seem scary at first, but the thrill of embarking on a solo adventure will definitely boost your pride and ego. Travel to an exotic locale, go on a lone road trip, sneak off to the beach… the possibilities are endless!

2. Paint the town red
Again, with marriage comes lots of responsibilities. Relish your singlehood by going out with your amigas without having to inform anyone (except your parents perhaps?) about your whereabouts. Revel in the fact that you don't need to get permission or approval from anyone - and that you can actually talk to guys and pissingly drunk without guilt!

3. Live on your own
Most Pinay bellas only get to live "independently" when they marry. Jump the gun and have a try before getting hitched. We bet you'll be a domesticated goddess in no time, since you'll learn how to cook, clean and do your own laundry with help from a maid or parents.

4. Have a savings account that's entirely yours and yours alone.
When you get married, it's inevitable that you'll have a joint savings account with your husband. For the sake of self-preservation and self-protection, keep a savings account that solely yours. That way, money won't cause too much marital conflict. You get to share something of your own. At the very least, learn how to manage your finances before getting married, so you won't feel so shackled to or dependent on your husband for your subsistence.

5. Established a strong support system
It's true what they say: Being a married woman is vastly different from being a single sistah. You now have somebody to be accountable for and therefore, have less "me" time. That's why it is important to set up a strong circle of friends who will be there for you, for better or for worse. These friends will understand that you will have to spend less time with them once you get married. Now that's what real friendship is all about.

6. Experience a broken heart
Every gal needs to go through that heart-wrenching experience to prepare her for when she finally meets - and marries Mr. Right. It will prepare you emotionally for your next relationship, and surviving (and thriving) after a heartbreak makes you more mature than you'll ever be. Mistakes and heartbreaks truly make one stronger - and wiser.

7. Walk around the house or in your room naked (IF YOU ARE ALONE IN THE HOUSE)
That's the only moment you can do it without anyone thinking that you've lost your sanity. (Just think of the kids that will follow)

8. Know Yourself
It might sound cliché but it's true. Know what makes you happy, what keeps your sanity in check, what activities and hobbies you personally enjoy during your "me" time. Cherish all of them while you're still single. And when you get married, make sure you still have "me" time (albeit not as frequently) to keep grounded.

9. Enjoy feasting on pizza by yourself
Every bella should experience pigging out without worrying about others will think. Toss in a couple of drinks and fave DVDs and veg the night (or weekend) away!

0 comments:

Post a Comment