Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Great 2009 Escapades

Since graduating from college I always wanted to travel. Not only in the Philippines but in other countries as well. Until now I am still keeping my fingers crossed that 2010 would be the year for me to go out of the country and visit at least 2 countries (still a hopeful thinking because I am still saving up) :D. For now I did explore some places here in the Philippines old and new that always left a good memories and best shared with friends.

Here are some of the snapshots of my escapade last year:

Puerto Princesa, Palawan - January 24-26, 2009
This is an unexpected trip. Me and my HS friends agreed that on our first out of town travel we choose Hongkong and Macau (one of my dream destination). Unfortunately budget issues arise during our booking, airfares and hotel accomodations. It is way over our budget and one of our friend is having doubts on splurging a lot since their company is on recession. Good thing, my friend suggest that we travel locally. They have a resthouse in Palawan and she wholeheartedly offered a place to stay in Palawan. She assure us that we will enjoy our stay. True enough, we did have a blast and unexpectedly fall in love with Palawan. The friendly people, pristine beaches, the nature trips and delicious foods entices me to go back to Palawan once more. Best of all, I get to share this with my best pals from HS.


Our trip to Crocodile farm

The View from my friend's resthouse




Going to the Underground river - beautiful formation of rocks

Inside the Underground River


Going back to the Sabang Beach

Sabang Beach




Iwahig Penal Colony






Iloilo, Philippines - April 4 - 12, 2009
One of my favorite places in Earth. I know some people would think there's nothing to see in Iloilo. Iloilo is special to me because this is where my parents grew up and most of our relatives came from Iloilo. I still remember when I was a little girl, going to Iloilo excites me because either we were riding in plane or ship I get to see my grandparents and go to places I don't usually see in Laguna or Manila. My last trip to Iloilo was in 2006 and I didn't get to enjoy it that much because it was only four days trip. This year I get to appreciate more of Iloilo and visited places I know exist in Iloilo but never went before. Holy week is a nice time to go and visit Iloilo since you get to see diffrent Spanish-old churches and ancient mansions. Not to mention the "taltal" (penitence) in Guimaras Island. For almost 25 years I've been visiting Iloilo, this is the first time I truly appreciate and enjoy our province. I am still looking forward in going and bringing friends here in the future.

View from our town in Sta. Barbara Iloilo



My Cousins playing around

At the back of my Lolo's house



Our Holy Wednesday "taltal" in Guimaras and enjoying the nice view in the top of Balaan Bukid

The View from Top - from Balaan Bukid's summit



The 15 minutes boatride from Iloilo




Snapshots our Visita Iglesia in Iloilo during Maundy Thursday:
Miag-Ao Church - One of the best!
I always read and watch Miag-ao church on lifestyle / travel magazines and even on Discovery and National Geographic Channel, but I never expected to be amazed on the old architecture and design of the church. Some people says that the Miag-ao Church resembles the Paoay church in Ilocos (which I have to see first) but for whatever reason Miag-ao Church got my full attention. From the intricate design in the front facade, the long stretch of aisle where you get to walk up the altar and the secret passages that were created during the Spanish times.





St. Anne Church in Molo Iloilo
- Known as one of the Spanish era church that our National Hero Jose Rizal visited on his way to Dapitan. I personally liked this church since it showcases all church pillars with female saints. I also liked the interior of this church because of the three domes in the altar and the old pulpit located near the altar. If ever I get to marry and choose a church of my own whim I would either choose Miag-Ao Church or the St. Anne Church in Molo. It brings special feelings to old world.








Jaro Cathedral and Bellfry in Jaro Iloilo

I always see this church when going to Iloilo city but I never went inside this before. If the St. Anne Church in Molo is the feminist church this one is the male dominant saint church. Too bad I wasn't able to see the saints since its a holy week and all saints are wrapped in a velvet cloths. I give thanks to Nuestra Senora Candelaria and baby Jesus or called there as "Our Lady of Candles" (which said to be growing and growing each passing day). The Jaro Cathedral was blessed by Pope John Paul II during his papal visit in 1980's.





Then the Traditional "Prusisyon" (Procession of Saints during Good Friday)









Guimaras Philippines - May 1 - 3, 2009

2009 was a lucky year for me because I was able to visit Iloilo and Guimaras twice. This time with my BF and his college friends. I already went to Guimaras a couple of times in the past but I never experienced exploring the island and stay there for a couple of days. We went to do island hopping and swimming in the cool water and lounge in the white sands in Raymen Resort in Nueva Valencia, Guimaras. Though the weather is kind of upredictable because it's sunny when we get there then the next few hours are raining. We get to visit the turtle sanctuary, snorkeling / swimming and do photoshoots on the islets.

Some of the snapshots of the adventure!



The Ave Maria Islet

Guimaras Port




The Turtle Sanctuary in Guimaras







Subic - The Treetop Adventure August 2009

Last time I went to Subic was almost 10 years ago during our HS fieldtrip! It was nice to know that there are few changes and improvements around Subic. I am not a thrill seeker but we did enjoy the Subic Treetop Adventure. You get to be a Spiderman and Superman for a few minutes. For those like me who are afraid of heights, this activity will really test your boundaries. In fairness, I get to enjoy the treetop activities and once again explore Subic :)

Me - taking my most feared activity...


The View from cable car



Notes: Some of the pictures in this blog are collected from my friends who's always my frequent travel buddies :).

0 comments:

Post a Comment