Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

My Sassy Girl - Korean Movie 2001

For a long time I've been curious what was the hype behind the My Sassy Girl movie in Korean version. I remembered my co-faculty before lend me a copy of the movie but I didn't watch it because my significant other (we're not yet in a relationship before) snatched it before I had the chance to watch the movie. My significant other kept gushing on me how he likes the movie and that I should watch it. But I got so busy and I just ignore his recommendation and return the VCD to my co-faculty without even peeking on it.

Image from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sassy_Girl


Years passed, I already forgotten watching the movie and more of my friends and acquaintances keep telling me that I should give it a try. I'm no fan of Korean movies, korean-novelas (except for Princess Hours - but it’s a different story) and pop music since I can't understand their language. For me it was a huge effort trying to read the subtitles below just to understand what these Korean actors are saying. It is also of the reasons why I don't patronized Japanese, Chinese, Korean animes because I am not interested and the language barrier.

Last night after much convincing and curiosity (c/o of my very significant other), I did watch the movie. At first I find it too long for the story lines but it made me laugh at every scene. Gyeon-woo (the male protagonist of the movie) was so nice and kind but not the kind of guy you will fall in love at first sight. I laugh at the scene where the drunk girl passed out and the guy had to carry him in the motel, but did not take advantage on the girl's weakness. Then there was this scene where the guy has to go to jail twice because of the girl and the guy has to wear the girl's high heels and chase her around the park. It didn't made me cry but I was so touched by the guy's gesture and love for the girl. The most romantic part of the movie was when the guy went to the girl's school to give her a rose during their 100th day anniversary. It was the sweetest gesture the guy has done for the girl. Also, the most touching part of the story was, Gyeon-woo candidly offers advice on how to ensure her happiness by asking her potential suitor to follow ten rules: preventing her from overdrinking and giving in to her at every circumstance, even if it means enduring the occasional "violence". It is at this point that the Girl realizes how well Gyeon-woo understands her and runs to the subway to look for Gyeon-woo.

Image from: http://www.coffeecoffeeandmorecoffee.com/archives/2008/01/





Image from: http://redown.com/forums/movies/59932-my-sassy-girl-2001-dvdrip-korean.html

Image from: http://popseoul.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/my_20sassy_20girl_204_small.jpg



Here is the list of the 10 rules Gyeon-woo said to the potential suitor of the Girl:

1. Don't ask her to be feminine
2. Don't let her drink over three glasses, she'll beat someone
3. At a café, drink coffee instead of Coke or juice
4. If she hits you, you act like it hurts. If it hurts, act like it doesn't
5. On your 100th day, give her a rose during her class. She'll like it a lot
6. Make sure you'll learn fencing and squash
7. Also, be prepared to go prison sometimes
8. If she says she'll kill you, don't take it lightly. You'll feel better
9. If her feet hurts exchange shoes with her
10. Finally, she likes to write, encourage her.

I didn't cry while watching the movie but I can't help but feel touched by the Gyeon-woo's ultimate gesture for the girl. What was the crazy twist in the story was even they tried to separate and find ways of their own, their fate was destined for each other. At the end of the movie, they found each other again and the Girl thinking Gyeon-woo was her guy from the future. (I don't want to put spoilers on the ending since the ending was a good story twist)

Now why I'm writing this 2001 Korean movie in my blog???

Because, after all these years that my significant other was convincing me to watch the movie (which was already five years) he was trying to tell me some of the reasons why he was attracted to me during the first months we started going out together. Although I am not brutal like the Girl in the movie (defensive), he always thought I was like the Girl. I also remember that he likes me when I'm wearing skirts and dresses because it looks good on me (just like the Girl) and he told me that no matter how hard-headed and stubborn I get, he always liked and loved me. I used to asked him before what made him fall in love with me and he didn't answer a lot. After five years and finally unlocking his other attitudes and characteristics I realized he is not the typical guy who is showy in his affection and talkative. That was proven when he was trying to convince me to watch the movie so that I would be able to see how he fell in love with me… All because of My Sassy Girl Movie. Now I learn to appreciate him more and love watching movies with him since it was one of our cheap bondings during weekend / weekdays. :)

Memorable Lines from the movie. Taken from Juxtopose

The Girl: What do you want to order?
Gyun-Woo: Cherry Jubilee... wait...
I'll have Mango Tango... or Shooting Star... Jamonka Almond sounds good too...
Okay, I'll just have Love Me.
The Girl: Wanna die? Drink coffee!
The Girl: You know why the sky is blue?
Gyun-Woo: Because the reflection from
the sunshine causes...
The Girl: Wrong! It's to make me happy. I wanted it
to be blue, so it's blue. You know why fire is hot? It's all for me. I wanted it
to be hot, so it's hot. You know why we have four seasons here in Korea?
Gyun-Woo: For you?
The Girl: Correct.

Fate is building a bridge of
chance for the one you love.
I think I have met a man from the future...
From your future

0 comments:

Post a Comment