Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Manila Adventures

I used to remember going to Manila is a luxury before. Since I went in a private school in Laguna during college, I seldom go to Manila or explore it. I don't go there without someone to accompany me since I am clueless commuting the LRT and jeeps and I find it too dangerous for newbies like me. First time I explored Manila was when I accompanied my Mom buying stuffs in Divisoria and found out it was a great haven for shopaholics like me! The next time I went to Manila was when my BF accompany me during my enrollment in Graduate School. Since he went to a public state university in Manila, he is more familiar in navigating the city. After my enrollment, he was able to show me around Quiapo, Recto, SM Manila and Binondo.

For now I am currently residing in Manila for almost three years and I must say it was a great experience for me since I learn my way around and I got comfortable riding public transportation. Sometimes I still get paranoid and suspicious of people around me.

Some of the lessons I learned in Manila are:

1. Don't talk to strangers
2. Be alert all the time
3. Do not flaunt your possessions
4. Avoid going home late in the evening as much as possible
5. LRT and MRT is a challenge everyday

Living in Manila is an eye-opener. Since I grew up being sheltered by my family, it is really tough to adjust in the city. But as you overcome the challenges of living independently you'll be used to the polluted and crowded city. For me it was like practicing to live outside the country.

Aside from personal learnings, there is something more Manila can offer. I know some people would say Manila is polluted, crowded, full of crooks and beggars and traffic but Manila is also rich in history and information. I learned these while trying to explore famous Manila landmarks during weekends with my significant other. For those who like to have weekend getaways that are cheap, relaxing and not going to the mall, visit these beautiful places and structure in Manila.


1. National Museum


This place is brimming with all our culture rich histories, arts and sculptures. I was fascinated seeing our national artists' master pieces such as Spolarium and offer interesting artifacts from different provinces and tribes. It was ages ago since I visited this place and I must say that my recent trip to National Museum is a fun one. Entrance to the Museum is 100 pesos and during February, museum is offering free pass since it is the National Arts Month :)





2. Intramuros


Just like the National Museum, Intramuros is rich with history and this represents Manila during the Spanish period time. This is also where our national hero Jose Rizal was imprisoned. Parts of the Intramuros is dedicated to our national hero. If you have foreigner friends this is a perfect spot for sight seeing and learn Manila's history in one day.

Entrance fee to the park is 75.00 pesos. Not bad actually ;)


The crumbling structure in Intramuros




The old copy of El Filibusterismo, housed in Jose Rizal's Museum inside Intramuros

The famous facade of Intramuros, almost destroyed during World War 2



3. Manila Cathedral


This is one of the beautiful structure found in the heart of Manila. It was destroyed few times from the Spanish era up to World War 2 in 1945. It was re-created and copied to the original architectural design during the ancient times. At the back of Manila Cathedral, a marker / commemoration for the unknown victims of World War 2 is placed. This is to remember the cruelty and the innocent casualties brought by nonsense war.

The old picture of Manila Cathedral destroyed during the World War 2



Memorare - Manila 1945, for those innocent Filipino people who perished during the war


The Pieta inside Manila Cathedral

Manila Cathedral facade

Manila Cathedral facade




4. San Agustin Church


San Agustin Church is one of the oldest church in Manila. Aside from being one of the most sough-after church for wedding, San Agustin church offers great history in its walls. Its museum is filled with information on the lives of Augustinian priests who stayed in the Philippines and the religious artifacts they left. I was impressed with the saints' statues and religious relics made from authentic ivory, gold and silver. It also houses an indoor cemetery dated back from 1500s to 1700s. Visiting it during late afternoon sends chill to the spine since it is eerily silent and cold. :P

Entrance fee to the church is 100 pesos, my bf thinks it's kinda expensive for an entrance pass, but for me I find it "sulit" because of the unknown wonders inside the church museum.

The beautiful ceiling of San Agustin (while wedding is ongoing below)



Wondering how this hall looks like during the 17th century?


Scary St. Rita de Casia, holding a skull in her left hand

The Prayles, inside the museum


The first floor hall, filled with paintings of renowned saints




5. Luneta Park


When I was a kid, I always hear the phrase, "Namamasyal sa Luneta". Well actually it might be a little different from before but when we stroll Luneta is was still filled with different types of people. You can see tourists flocking over Jose Rizal's monument, kids exploring due to their field trips, simple people hanging around, students studying and practicing/shooting for their plays (they are even in their costumes). Just to feel the actual experience of going to Luneta, me and my significant other brought packed sandwiches and mats then pass time by sitting and talking. We find it relaxing and fun since we get to talk about everything we see or observe in the park.

I also noticed that there are certain parts of the park that has entrance fees like the Japanese and Chinese Garden for 5.00 pesos each and the hidden Jose Rizal monument during his final hours for 20.00 pesos each


Photo from: http://www.aidan.co.uk/photo8436.htm



Next Stop: Manila Bay and Binondo food tripping :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment