Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Amazing Coron - Day 1 to Paradise!

Last March 18-20, 2010, I was able to visit one of the most enchanting places on the Philippines, the island of Coron, Palawan. I keep reminding myself that I passed up on an opportunity to join my college friend on her birthday trip to Singapore since we were booked one month in advance last year before my friend invited me to join her (bummer, but I believe there are reasons :) for it).

On our way, I am really nervous on riding Cebu Pacific small plane that carries at least 60 passengers (I'm not so sure, but that's how I observed it while boarding the plane). It was a nerve-racking 45 minutes up in the sky and during the first 15 minutes of our ride I can't help but clutch my rosary and pray. But afterwards, I began to ease up and became accustomed to the whizzing sound and the deafening roar of plane's engine and propeller. :)

We arrived at Francisco Reyes Busuanga Airport around 10:30am and been picked up by the hotel's van and went to Mt. Tapyas Hotel. For a few minutes, we changed for beach outfits and made sure that we brought along our camera and other stuff and met our other friends from the Coron port for the start of our tour.

Here is our itenerary for Day 1:

Our first stop is our welcome lunch and our trip to Kayangan Lake. I must admit when we reach the top part of jagged cliff, I am really amazed at the scene right in front of my eyes. Kayangan Lake is the famous picture of Coron since it features the brackish and serene waters of Coron. Then we proceed to the other side of the lake where one of the deepest and most clean lakes in the Philippines is found.




Then we went to the Barracuda Lake, which is deeper than the Kayangan Lake and its kinda scary trekking the cliff going to the lake, since it's too steep and the rocks are sharp. The foreigners who were snorkeling before us, told that the water in Barracuda lake is scary deep since you can only see the bluish dark waters below. I was too chicken to go far since I am not that confident with my lifevest and I always get muscle cramps in my legs even trying to swim for a while.

Our next stop is another famous Twin Lagoon, where during low tide you can swim under the rock and go to the other side. During high tides, you can cross the other side by using the ladder found on the top of the rock. Good thing, that when we arrived at the lagoon, it was already low tide and I've been able to cross to the other side since our boatman, borrow a "balsa" or floater that is made of bamboo tree. Kinda fun riding the balsa and see the other side of the lagoon. It was clean, eerily silent and enchanting. But one should be careful snorkeling along Twin Lagoon since there are sea urchins underneath which can sting you (my bf was one of the poor victims of the sea urchin).




(the sea urchin)

After our Twin Lagoon trip, we proceed to Skeleton Wreck where the famous Japanese Galleon is located. Even you don't use the snorkeling gear you can still see the shadowy outline of the centuries old galleon which is also a home to corals. Pretty colored fishes can be found also on the Skeleton Wreck and of course the sea urchins that are visible during low tide.

Here are the things you will find under the Skeleton Wreck Beach :)




Our last itenerary for the day is the CYC beach which used to be big and pristine. But since some evil people stole the white sand of the beach, it looked like abused part of land, but you will get to witness one of the beautiful sunsets here.



After our very tiring day, we went to Bistro Coron for dinner. From our hotel, it was few blocks away and we did a short cut after asking for directions. The food is nice (we were too starved to take pictures so we dig in right after our waitress served our orders).

There will continuation on our Day 2 and Day 3 trips :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment